Below is a list of toxic food for your pets. Some of you already received this list at the event. You may already know about some of these toxic foods but some may surprise you and please keep in mind that this is NOT a complete list. It is only a list of common foods in households.
I’m constantly hearing from pet owners things like “My dog ate a whole chocolate bar, and he is still alive”. While this may be true, it doesn’t mean that said dog isnt silently suffering internally from it. When an animal gets into a toxic food, sometimes it can take up to 2 weeks for the effects to show. I’m sure, as a pet owner, you have witnessed your dog or cat throwing up for what seemed like no reason. There is a reason and it could be because of something they ate a week ago. Or, it could be the result of those 5 chocolate bars they got into over the span of 10 years. Think about when you throw up…it’s never “just because people throw up sometimes”, it’s because you have a virus, a disease, food poisoning, or you drank too much alcohol. The point is there is always a reason. Toxins build up in our and our pets’ bodies over time, causing disease. So just because your pet lived through that day he ate that loaf of bread you accidentally left on the counter, doesnt mean the toxins from that loaf of bread aren’t slowly clogging the lymph nodes and deteriorating the liver. Our pets can’t tell us when they dont feel well and most of them will hide pain as long as possible because in the wild (and remember that wolves and african wildcats are their ancestors) an animal in distress is an eaten animal. This list is something that you should go over with your family and post on your refrigerator, it could save your pet’s life.
Toxic food for dogs and cats
This is not a complete list, it is a list of common foods in households
- ALCOHOL – Your pet’s liver cannot metabolize alcohol. Even small amounts can be toxic and cause serious problems.
- AVOCADO – The leaves, fruit, seeds, and bark contain Persin, which is toxic to pets. The most common variety, Guatemalan, found in stores seems to be the most problematic. Since the degree of toxicity is unknown in other strains of avocados, it is best to avoid altogether.
- BREAD DOUGH – Live yeast from raw dough will multiply in the stomach and expand causing a decrease in blood flow and difficulty breathing. As yeast multiplies is produces alcohol resulting in alcohol intoxication. Some symptoms are disorientation, vomiting, seizure, coma, death.
- CAFFEINE – Large quantities of caffeine can be fatal for your pet and there is no antidote. Symptoms of caffeine poisoning include heart palpitations, bleeding, rapid breathing, muscle tremors.
- CHOCOLATE – Theobromine, a naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, increases urination and negatively affects the central nervous system. Even small amounts of Theobromine can be lethal to dogs.
- CITRUS – While large amounts of the stems, leaves, peels, fruit and seeds of the citrus plants can cause gastrointestinal irritation and possibly central nervous system depression due to the citric acids, limonin oils, a segment or two of an orange for instance will more that likely cause nothing more than a minor upset stomach.
- GRAPES OR RAISINS – While the toxic component of grapes and raisins has yet to be determined, it appears that in large quantities, grapes and raisins can cause renal failure. It has also yet to be determined whether long-term ingestion can lead to the same effects as a large one-time ingestion. Due to the many unknown factors regarding grape and raisin safety, it is best to avoid them.
- GREASE – The high fat content of grease will more than likely cause diarrhea. While some fat in a dog’s diet is desirable, too much fat is undesirable.
- MACADAMIA NUTS – As few as 6 macadamia nuts can cause vomiting, weakness in the back legs, raised heart rate, and elevated body temperature.
- ONIONS – The oils in onions contain an antioxidant that negatively affects the hemoglobin’s ability to carry oxygen in the red blood cells. Anemia, rapid breathing, lethargy, vomiting, and heart murmurs can result after the ingestion of onion, but these symptoms can appear as late as a few days after onion ingestion.
- RAWHIDE – These “treats” are loaded with toxins and preservatives. They can also cause obstruction in the intestines. Pig ears or bones covered in unnatural sauces should also be avoided for the same reasons.
TIP! Ask your butcher for a “meaty marrow bone for dogs” instead!
- SEASONED MEATS – Seasoned meats are usually chemically preserved, smoked, salted, or spiced. All of these are undesirable for optimal health of your pet. Also, any highly spiced foods will more than likely give a dog a minor upset stomach.
- SOY – While soy is technically a complete protein, it does not serve well as one since our pets do not readily digest it. It can cause gas and bloating.
- SUGAR – Refined sugar has no nutritional value to it. The only thing your pet will receive from it is an undesirable spike in blood sugar followed by a crash. Dogs with a taste for sweet foods would benefit from small amounts of fruit rich in vitamins and minerals instead.
- WHEAT – In any of its forms (wheat, wheat flour, middling, germ, or bran) your pets do not digest wheat well. It also tends to cause quite a bit of allergy problems.